Skip to main content

What Digital Learning Means to Me

    
Prior to taking the class, Technology in an Instructional Setting, I had only surface level knowledge on how incorporated technology really was when it came to education. I was always more familiar with, and sometimes even preferred, having a pencil and paper to write or do work with. This was especially true when it came to my academic life before high school graduation. Most, if not all, of my high school classes involved work with pencil and paper. Teaching methods did vary with some teachers incorporating technology into their lessons; however, a lot of the student work lacked a technology aspect. When technology did play a part in student work, it was usually reserved for bigger assignments or projects. Often times it involved presentations from a PowerPoint. 



            Starting college, I did not notice much change in the work style compared to high school. I still went to class, sat down, and got my pen and notebook out. Yet, there was one big technological difference that I was not fully aware of then. It was Canvas and the fact that it was a Learning Management System (LMS). I enjoyed the concept of Canvas and LMS’s as a whole. It gave me a sense of freedom when I knew I could look at any information provided by the instructor, and it also gave me a sense of organization when I could finish work in the order it was taught. It definitely made college feel like a breeze for me. Additionally, the effectiveness of Canvas or any LMS was put to the test when the Covid-19 pandemic broke out and we had to quarantine. It helped keep things in order for students like me and made the transition to online learning that much easier.

            As of now, I have learned that digital learning is essential to the education of students worldwide and of all ages, especially the younger generations. Even though I mostly grew up used to working with a pencil in my hand, I am not blind to the benefits a laptop (like the one on my lap) can bring. I can do more types of work, instantly connect with teachers and peers, and simply learn from effective research. It can even be argued that digital learning is not the future but the present. It is going on right now, and it will only get better as time moves on. With the right minds, it can undoubtedly be the most effective form of learning.  When I ultimately become a teacher, I will be sure to incorporate technology that will allow students to use their creativity to its fullest potential so that they can be immersed in the lessons and retain what they learn.



Comments